Wednesday, April 2, 2008

FUN IN THE SUMMERTIME

By: BIll (Guest Columnist)

This summer will be the defining moment for the Snow/Nolan regime. The team, as it stands now, is full of holes and there are teams in the Eastern Conference that are becoming stronger (Washington, Philadelphia, Montreal).

As it stands now, goaltending appears to be a real strength. I think that both Joey Mac and Dubie have proved to the rest of the NHL that they are capable backups Unfortunately, one of them has to go. Mac has a signed contract for next year and my gut feeling is that Snow would like to see him emerge as the back up. Dubie, on the other hand, is an UFA. My feeling is that the Isles should resign Dubie to a two year deal and then move one of the two.

I personally prefer to see Dubie stay just because he bleeds Islanders blue and orange. He has proved to me that he is more than an adequate back up and that he could easily play 20 games next year.

Joey Mac, with a signed deal, should bring some kind of pick or prospect before the draft. I hope that Snow doesn't pull another "brain freeze" and allow Dubie to walk away for nothing in return as he has done several times in the past. He will certainly attract some offers and he should be locked up ASAP.

Loyalty to this franchise has been in short supply over the last years and at some point the franchise has to reward the players that really want to be here. Hunter was a good start and Snow should continue it with Dubie.

Random thoughts:

Sillinger should retire or be bought out, if he cannot be moved before the season starts. He was a good stopgap but clearly his time here has passed.

Comeau is a decent player but he is being hyped way beyond his talent. He holds the puck too long and does too much sideboard play. He should blossom into perhaps a second line player. He is not as good as his hype and is simply a solid player on a bad team. He only has 8 goals in 50 games. He is a future building block but by no means is he star material.

Colliton is a sleeper who should replace Hilbert next year. If he puts on some muscle over the summer, he could be a tough player to move from in front of the net. He is also a very good player on the PK.

Okposo looks like he will one day be a frontline player here. Finally, a first round pick that lives up to his reputation.

Steve Regier doesn't appear to have a future in the NHL. Anyone here think differently?

Tambellini has disappointed me this year however, I would like to see what he could with Franz Neilsen as his center all year. They worked magic together in Bridgeport this year and I see no reason why they should not at least be given the chance to do the same here.

What is the consensus on Joe V.? Stay or go? I waffle. I know that if he goes he will score 30 goals for his new team. If he stays he will hit 15 again. What say you?

MY GOODBYE LIST:
Tank
Satan
Sillinger
Hilbert
Joe V ????

Next time I'll address the defense.....BILL

13 comments:

shinkdew said...

I think they will end up resigning Dubie. They only have two goalies under contract beyond this season, DiPietro and MacDonald. Somebody needs to play in Bridgeport and I suspect unless Dubie is asking for an unreasonable contract, he will be signed and MacDonald will be back in Bridgeport.

I don't see them buying out Sillinger, he'll be in the last year of his contract.

I think they will try to sign Vasicek, but he'll probably test free agency and sign with another team for more money a la Victor Kozlov.

Hilbert will probably be fighting it out for a 4th line spot and may find himself on waivers and down in Bridgeport, or a healthy scratch.

Regier probably doesn't make it to the NHL, but he could be a late bloomer like Hunter was. He's still young and has a chance to progress in Bridgeport.

Tambellini's last chance is probably going to be next year's training camp. I don't know what they will do with him if he doesn't show anything. If they try to send him to Bridgeport, I think a team would claim him off waivers. I don't think he has much trade value. He'd probably be relegated to the 4th line, battling Hilbert for ice time and a spot in the line up.

Tank and Satan will be gone. Satan may be back if he's willing to take a pay cut, he's not worth $4.5m.

Anonymous said...

Keep Joe Vasicek. That puck to the chops slowed him down big time.
Eventhough it pains me (and one of my jerseys), let Satan go. Hilbert is a no brainer - he couldn't score on Gump Worsley nowadays. Goodbye and take Silli with you.
Tank is where I'm torn.
Now to a real important question - is Deb Placey's left boob bigger than the right one? I think so.

Anonymous said...

Shink. I may be wrong, but the way I understand it is that J. Mac has an NHL contract for next year much like Bergy had this year and that he cannot be sent down. Anyone know for sure?......Bill

shinkdew said...

I think you are right about the one way contract. I think they mentioned it last night. As far as I know, that only applies to the amount of money you make. One way, you make the same whether in the AHL or NHL. Two way, you make different amounts in the AHL and NHL. I don't know what MacDonald's waiver situation is, he's only played in 17 NHL games.

Either way, I'd be happy with either Dubie or MacDonald as the back up. I think Dubie is more of a proven commodity, at least at the NHL level, than MacDonald.

Anonymous said...

Shink....I know that Bergy was guarenteed a spot on the NHL club because of his contract. I think that the same applies to J Mac. Carry him or lose him..............Bill

J Picker said...

We have all seen this season that the team must prepare itself for injuries. That itself being said is enough to bring back Dubie. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he is signed to. Maybe they work in some clause that if he signs a 2-way contract, that once he finally decides to hang up the skates he gets a coaching or front office job of some sort. Considering the amount of blue and orange we believe that Dubie bleeds, he may just accept that and therefore will lead to an interesting battle in training camp as to who is Ricky's backup as the little I saw of the game last night, Joey Mac looked sharp.

shinkdew said...

According to TSN, the NHL Draft lottery is taking place Monday, April 7th at 8PM. It is going to be live on Versus, TSN and the NHL Network.

Nyisles82 said...

Bill- caps are in 8th! I'm with ya man- lets go Capitals!

Don't know about you guys, but if I had to chose, I'd much rather be an Islanders fan this week than a Flyers fan.. if they miss this year it's gotta hurt more than the bottom falling out of our season. Devs & Pens left for them, I can't imagine either of those teams showing them any mercy.

Still have to watch the game after recording it last night...but the loss means we officially can't fall further than 5th, right?

Blues have 2 games left against Columbus, so there's a decent chance they'll overtake us..

shinkdew said...

What is going on with these torn labrum injuries? How does that happen to three players on the same team, in the same season? Does anyone think the terrible ice they play on could have anything to do with it?

I was somewhat impressed with Hillen. It's not too easy to go from college to the NHL, especially as a defenseman, and he didn't really look that out of place.

Anonymous said...

So, I am watching the game tonight and the Rangers have a five on three PP. This is a meaningless game that will not affect the Islanders in the standing at all. Their season is over.Martinek breaks his stick. Hunter immediately gives Martinek his stick and seconds later throws himself in front of a slapshot by a Ranger player about thirty feet from the net.

And I think to myself, this is why Trent Hunter is a building block and this is why he deserves the 5 year deal he got....Bill

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone here is pulling for Washington tomorrow. The playoffs will be worth watching with Ovetchkin in them.

A Crosby-Ovetchkin Eastern Final would be just what the NHL needs to bring back some fans.

Justin, J why not do a bracket here for everyone to list their picks in after tomorrow. It might be fun to see who comes up with the Cup finalists and eventual winner.

I would do it, but I lack the computer skills. Anybody else?......Bill

Candyman said...

I agree. Once the standings are finalized I will organize the brackets. At least we can still have some fun.

Nice to end on a good note.

J Picker said...

Good to end the season on a positive note as the extra 2 points didn't really hurt us in terms of being eligible for the 1st pick.

Was anyone else amazed at Okposo's move in the shootout...after this mini stint, I can easily say this season would been alot more fun if okposo was here the entire season, but long term I say this season is a big plus in terms of his development.

I am also happy with the whole situation regarding Hillen. Not only was this a great signing by Snow but also having him play in these final two games will hopefully put him in the right state of mind in terms of preparing this offseason for next year. The limited time I saw him on the pp he seemed very comfortable and almost a natural fit at that point position.