Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dubie Dubie Doon't

-------------------------
UPDATE: Isles talking to Yashin?

It appears the Isles are under talks with Alex Yashin's agent on a possible one year deal. Wow.
-------------------------

As many of you might have recently become aware, the Isles decided last week to cut ties with back up goaltender Wade Dubielewicz. Although Dubie got off to a terrible start last season, he did put in some incredibly solid performances in the latter part of the season. But let's not get too worked up about this one folks. Dubie is a career back up goaltender who has only had one productive NHL season. He is undersized, almost 30 years old, and he evidently reported out of shape to camp last season--his first season signed to an NHL level contract. His services were surely helpful, but they are undoubtedly replaceable.

The non-offering of a contract to Satan is not surprising, but I'm a little shocked the Isles didn't at least try to sign Joe Vasicek. I guess the Isles feel they have more than enough depth at center and thus do not feel the need to bring back another enigmatic player.

Regarding Sean Avery, I would not want any part of his services, nor do I expect Avery to have any desire to come to Long Island. Oh well.

Regarding moving up in the draft, I can only beg: "Garth, please do not compromise the future of this organization for the chance to land an aging, declining player that may or may not propel us to the 8th seed next spring." Aka, if you can't acquire a Dany Heatley, then let's give it a go with our own pick.

Pre-draft analysis coming soon....thoughts?

B&O Challenge: Bill is the Champion of the first annual playoff challenge! This is not surprising, as Sir William has been taking it to us all season. For a prize, how about a weekly column. Might as well put your knowledge to work, eh?

5 comments:

shinkdew said...

It's nice to see somebody not freaking out over the Dubie situation. Some of the comments on hockeybuzz are hilarious. You'd think Snow just decided to put DiPietro on waivers. I realize they need their backup to play more, but I don't think MacDonald was that bad when he played.

I'm not surprised about them not resigning any of the free agents. If they are really going with a youth movement, there are not many spots available.

If Filatov isn't available at 5, I hope they take Bogosian, Boedker or Wilson. Boedker and Wilson may be a stretch at 5, if they could trade down a couple spots to get them that would be good.

Anonymous said...

Damn! I was hoping for a pony...............Bill

Anonymous said...

I am also surprised about Joe Va. I thought he played well until he got that puck in the mush.
And I always thought Dubie is too small to be a great goalie, even as a backup.

Anonymous said...

Bringing Yashin back? My calendar says it's 6/16, not 4/1!!!

Candyman said...

I am mixed about the possibility of Yashin returning to the Isles. On one hand, he is a symbol of all that was wrong with the Isles from 2002-2007: enigmatic lazy play, underperformance, and a lack of leadership. However, last season the Isles simply failed to produce offensively. They lacked a legitimate #1 center and a legitimate scoring threat on the power play. Yashin might be both of those--he is usually good for close to a point per game. No player on the Isles current roster is capable of putting up the kind of numbers Yashin can. Actually as I write this out, I think it's clear where I probably stand on this matter.